12 setembro 2010

Sketch V / Esboço V - Mad Max

 

Don’t know if most of you have realized it, but this year marks the 25th anniversary of the Mad Max saga’s end. 1985 – my first year in school – was when Mel Gibson’s iconic Max Rockatansky character last roamed the post-apocalyptic Australian outback and entered cult movie status.

Although I’m a huge fan of the trilogy, the Beyond Thunderdome movie has always been my favourite (sue me!). I’ve seen it surely over 300 times by now (usually 6-8 times per year…) and it’s the one I’d most quickly name my “guilty pleasure film”, even more so than the others – Mad Max (1978) and The Road Warrior (1980). In fact, aside all the fond memories I have from childhood, renting it at the local video club over and over, sometimes consecutively!, it’s been the subject of a thesis I wrote for a college paper. I just find the mythology and symbolism, plus subtext so compelling… In fact, if I’m such a post-apoc and last-man-on-earth genre buff, it’s very likely due to the indelible impression that George Miller’s movies had on me.

I always enjoy thinking that, in some parallel dimension, the Gulf War never happened or was delayed enough for the 4th movie to reunite Gibson with his – for my money – most acclaimed creation. The following sequels (Fury Road and Furiosa) productions is set to star British actor Tom Hardy (from Inception) as Max. Hopefully it won’t suck to badly.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

comentários!?